Monday, September 5, 2016

Reading Notes, Jewish Fairy Tales, Part A

(The Giant and the Unicorn)
This week I chose to read Jewish Fairy Tales. My favorite stories that I read in Part A were the Giant of the Flood, and the Quarrel of the Cat and the Dog. The Giant of the Flood was loosely based on the biblical story of Noah's Ark however, in this version there is a giant. Noah wants a unicorn on the Ark, and the giant can find one as long as he too will be saved from the flood. So the giant found a big unicorn, which Noah tied to the side of the ark. The giant rode the unicorn throughout the flood, and Noah refused to feed him so that he would shrink down the size of a normal human being. My favorite part about this story was the ending, when the giant makes sacrifices to the grapevine. And humans who drank the wine made from grapes took on the characteristics of those animals he sacrificed. I really like the Quarrel of the Cat and the Dog because it took something that we know to be true today (that dogs and cats don't get along) and gave an explanation for that reason. I think to rewrite this story, it would be fun to kind of make up my own back story explaining why they don't get along. Another story that was told in this part was the Water-Babe. While reading this I immediately thought of the Disney movie The Prince of Egypt, and while I would do my own take on this, I think its overly told.

Bibliography: Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends by Gertrude Landa link to the reading

No comments:

Post a Comment