Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Week 8 Growth Mindset

(Image from Cheezburger)
Reading the chart and comparing my mindset in this class and in my life to earlier this semester I noticed a lot of changes! For example at the beginning of the semester, I focused on grades now I know to focus on learning and the grade I deserve will come. A couple of my strengths in this class are being open to any and all feedback, being always ready to learn more and focusing on my own progress. Some of my weaknesses are I tend to do the minimum in the class to get the grade I need, and doing things at the last minute. One of the things I tend to be really good at overall in my life is being ready for things to change, and being willing to try new things. I think this is because I moved a lot growing up so I had to get used to doing these things. My weaknesses in life I think include playing it safe and comparing myself to others. To grow and improve myself I need to change the way I think so that I can start planning ahead in the class and start thinking of myself as an individual to stop comparing myself to others!

4 comments:

  1. Bailey,
    I used to be really bad about comparing myself to others as well, and it brought my self-esteem down sometimes! It was definitely a challenge to stop doing this, but the more people I met from different walks of life really helped me understand that there is no "right" way to do life. Everyone does things a little differently, and everyone has a different path to take, so comparing your own path, that you've chosen based on all of your unique experiences and interactions, to someone else's is worthless! They've had a completely different life than you; they are a totally different person! I can't say I never compare myself to other people, sometimes I still do, but realizing that everyone is so different in so many ways has helped me realize that comparing myself to others will only result in negativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello (again) Bailey,

    I agree that you moving around really teaches you to be more open and willing to try different things. I think a lot of people don't ever have the opportunity to learn how important it is to push ourselves outside our comfort zones. I think there are people who are given the opportunity and still choose to stay in their own comfort zones.
    I too used to do only the minimum in not only this class, but my other classes. This class has really opened up my mind to the idea of falling more into exploring different ideas and writing styles. That challenging myself to do more than the minimum and more than the extra credit. To do my own research and find things that interest me.
    Best of luck with the remainder of this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bailey, I definitely agree with your willingness to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. People are usually fearful and stay within what they already know. Keep challenging yourself and continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bailey!
    Up until this last year, I compared myself to others all the time!!! I would ask my friends for advice and if they ever told me "that shirt is ugly" I would not wear that shirt. My life was revolved around people pleasing and constantly comparing myself. It was such a toxic way of thinking look back at it. I now try not to compare myself. I stopped caring so much of what people think and just started doing my own thing. I could care less mis my friends don't like my shirt now. I am so much more happier now. I think once you break the mold and push your comfort zone, you will really grow as a person!

    ReplyDelete