Monday, November 14, 2016

Reading Notes, Hans Christian Anderson, Part A

(The Princess and the Pea Link)
I was originally attracted to this unit because in the description it said he was one of the authors of the Little Mermaid. However, I figure I will do another extra credit reading note on just that story as it is in the second part. The first part consists of stories somewhat widely known such as the Emperors New Suit and the Princess and the Pea. The latter was one of my favorite stories growing up. There was once a prince who wanted to marry a true princess. He searched the world many times but was never able to find one who was a real princess. One day a girl knocked on the gates of the palace claiming to be a real princess. The prince decided to test it. He put a pea beneath 28 mattresses that the princess was to sleep on. The next morning, when asked how she slept, the princess replied, "Oh, very badly! I have scarcely closed my eyes all night. Heaven only knows what was in the bed, but I was lying on something hard, so that I am black and blue all over my body. It's horrible!" The prince determined no one but a real princess could be that sensitive so he married her.

Bibliography: Fairy Tales and Stories by Hans Christian Anderson and translated by H.P Paull Link

No comments:

Post a Comment