Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Reading Notes, The Great Plains, Part A

(The Eagle, Wikipedia)
This week I choose to read Native American Stories from the Great Plains Unit. I realized after reading all the stories in part A that I really didn't like any of them. I don't know if I am just not interested in Native American myths or if the writing was just not interesting to read. There was one story that I didn't completely dislike and that was "The Eagle's Revenge." In this story a hunter, who had killed a deer walked outside and saw an eagle eating that same deer. So he shot the eagle. The chief of the tribe called for a dance, and during that dance a stranger appeared. The tribe told seven stories of great deeds and at the end of each story the stranger yelled, "hi." Each time hi was uttered one of the men leading the dance fell dead. After the stranger vanished, the tribe learned that the stranger was the brother of the eagle who was killed. With this story I could rewrite it into a poem.

Bibliography: Myths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine Berry Judson link to reading

No comments:

Post a Comment