Monday, October 31, 2016

Reading Notes, More English Fairy Tales

I really enjoyed the first unit of English Fairy Tales I read this week, so for some extra credit I decided to read more of them. I read the story "Tattercoat." This story reminded me of a variation of Cinderella. In this story, a mother died in childbirth. The child was raised by her grandfather who resented her for causing the death of his favorite child. So instead of "Cinderella" being raised by her stepmother, "Tattercoat" was raised by her grandfather. In both stories, the girls end up with the princes. The next story I really liked was "Scrapefoot." This storheiy is a variation on Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The only difference between the two is that instead of Goldilocks there is a Fox that sneaks into the bears home, sits in their chairs, sleeps in their beds and drinks their milk.
(Scrapefoot, John D. Batten)

Bibliography: More English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs Link

No comments:

Post a Comment