Thursday, September 8, 2016

Story: The Fairy Frog

Once upon a time there lived an old couple, who had a son named Haina. One day Haina, who was grown, married and on his own, received word that his parents were ill and that he should come quickly. When he arrived, Haina's father gave him instructions about what should be done after their deaths. He told Haina to mourn them for seven days, and on the eve of the seventh, to go to the marketplace and buy the first thing offered to him, regardless of the cost, as it would bring him and his family good fortune.

Within the next couple weeks, both Haina's mother and father died. They had a funeral and Haina mourned for seven days. That evening he made his way towards the marketpalce. He had scarcely walked through the entrance when a man approached him, offering to him, a silver casket. Haina asked what was in the box, however the man was unable to say. So remembering his fathers advice, Haina purchased it for one thousand gold pieces; all the gold him and his wife had left.

(The Fairy Frog)
When he got home, Haina opened the casket and out sprang a frog. His wife was very disapointed but, she gave the frog some food, and a cabinet for its home. For the next eight days the frog continued to do nothing but eat. It grew to an enormous size and eventually Haina was forced to build it a shed outside. The frog ate so much that Haina and his wife had little to eat themselves. They were forced to sell some of their things to keep the frog supplied with food and were left in a state of poverty. Eventually Haina's wife broke down in tears. Suprisingly the frog then spoke and said, "as you have been kind to me, tell me what you want and I will grant your wish." Haina declared his wish first and told the frog all he wanted was enough food so that his family would never be hungry again. "Ask and you shall recieve" croaked the frog. There was a knock on the door at that very moment, and when answered, there, on the step, was a huge basket of food. Then Haina's wife spoke and announced that her wish was to be able to have a child, as she had been trying for over a year. "Ask and you shall recieve" croaked the frog.

(Haina's daughter)
Throughout the next year the frog continued to live with Haina and his family. Haina's wife had given birth to a baby girl, and the frog continued to eat until he was bigger than a person. One day, the frog again spoke and said, "It is time for me to leave you but, to repay you for all the kindness that you have shown me, I wish to give you one more gift." Haina's family, baby and all, followed the frog into the woods and, when they got there, the frog began gathering his gifts for them. At their feet, he deposited rare herbs that cure sickness, so that the family would never suffer from a fatal disease or sickness. He also dropped a handful of precious gems and stones so that the family would never again have to live in poverty. He gave one final gift to Haina, and that was a promise. A promise to return in 30 years when his daughter was fully grown, and if she showed the same kindness, a promise to grant any wish she desired, so her parents would never have to worry about her health or happiness again.

Haina and his wife thanked the frog relentlessey, however they still didn't know who exactly they were thanking. So when the frog began to hop away, Haina asked. The frog answered, "I am the fairy son of Adam, and am gifted with the power of assumming any form. Farewell." He then shrunk back down to his normal size and disappeared into the woods, not to be seen or heard from again. Well at least for the next 30 years...

Authors Note: The first part of my story has the same basic plot as the original story, I just changed the wording to make it more for this generation. However, I began changing the plot of the story when the frog first started granting wishes. In the original story the frog grants Haina's wife the gift of food, and Haina asks for the power of knowledge. So the frog wrote the seventy languages, and Law on strips of paper and made Haina swallow it. Once it was swallowed Haina became aquainted with all the knowledge in the world. Then the frog took them into the woods where he called upon the birds and insects to bring all the precious stones and herbs to Haina. The family from then on, became known for their knowledge, wealth, wisdom, and charity. But the frog never made any promise to come back, I added that part.

Bibliography: Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends, "The Fairy Frog" by Gertrude Landa link to the reading


5 comments:

  1. Bailey,

    I haven't seen anybody else chose the Jewish Fairy Tales reading so far in this class, I'm glad that you did so that I can get some exposure to it. I also like that you left yourself open for a follow up story at the end. Thanks for sharing, I look forward to reading more of your work.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bailey, I really enjoyed your story. I was impressed at your ability to write a lengthy story, I always seem to struggle with this. I like that you changed the dialogue to a more modern style. I seem to get lost in the author's text instead of in the message or story when the writing style is more old fashioned. I have never read this story before so that made it all the more interesting. I also like how you added a little suspense in your last line...it made me hopeful and curious about a possible follow up to this story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your story! I love how you recreate the story where the couple asked for realistic wishes, which shown that they are people with kind hearts and not greedy. I have never read any Jewish fairy tale, but my first impression on your story is that it sounds like a fable. It has a very good message, which is being kind to other regardless of who they are. It is a very sweet story. I hope you will give it a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I loved your story. It was very easy to follow and kept my attention the entire time. I was glad the story had a happy ending from such a tragic beginning from the death of his parents. I also like the commentary you had in the story; I felt you had a good blend of narrating and then the commentary between the characters. Through out the story I wondered if the frog was Haina's father reincarnated into the frog so I was a little thrown off when I read who the frog actually was. What if you tied the frog back to the parents of Haina? Would you still have the frog leave at the end of the story or would you be able to continue the story with the frog staying with the family as a sort of mentor? That could be something to think about if you decide to make changes or add to your story. Overall, the story was great! Relating the story back to things of our generation helped make it relatable to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved this story! I also really enjoy that you chose Jewish fairy tales. The happy ending is always nice and I really wish I would have known whether the girl grew up as kind as her parents. Although, I'm sure she did. You did a really nice job of recreating this story into something entirely your own. Very good work!

    ReplyDelete