Sunday, August 28, 2016

Growth Mindset

The concept of growth mindset is completely new to me; as is Carol Dwyer. In today's society, it feels like everything revolves around how successful you are. It puts a lot of pressure on us, as students because if we get a bad grade on a test, or even in a class, we think "Oh my gosh, we have to change our major, we're not going to get into graduate school etc." I personally am no different. It extremely difficult to get into Physical Therapy school, so when I received a grade last semester, that I wasn't happy about I thought my life was over. Even my advisor said that it was going to be difficult to get into PT school now. So this growth mindset could really help a lot of students. It could show them that rather giving up after life gives them a challenge, they need to learn all they can from it and move on. I want to learn more about the growth mindset this semester so that I am able to apply it to all my classes not only this year, but also in graduate school.
(Growth Mindset, Flickr)

1 comment:

  1. Bailey,
    I really wish universities could use a different way other than just grades to determine a student's performance, or at least use something in addition to grades. I'm at the point where grades rule my life - it doesn't matter what I learn as long as I get an A. I hate that. I WANT to be able to focus in on the things I'm eager to learn, but I know that if I spend too much time on one class, I won't have enough time for another, and my GPA will suffer. I do not like being controlled by letter grades.... it's extremely stressful :(

    ReplyDelete