Thursday, August 25, 2016

Storybook Favorites

After looking at what seems like a thousand storybooks, I have identified my three favorites. The first (and what is most interesting to me) is called Mount Olympus Gossip, and is about the main Gods and Goddesses of Greek mythology. The second, titled Tales of Grimm revolves around the stories written by the Grimm Brothers. Finally, the third, Fairy Tales: The Other Side, adds a twist to some of the classic fairy tales.

Mount Olympus Gossip tells the stories of two Greek Goddesses and two Greek Gods from an inside point of view. Greek mythology is one of my favorite things to read about, so this title was the main reason I chose to further explore this storybook. The author did a good job keeping the title short, while also still making it intriguing. Although, this topic is very familiar to me, the introduction did a excellent job on cluing me in about how the stories were going to be told, and who they were going to be told about. However, the way the introduction was structured was kind of odd to me. The author included details about each god/goddess that should have been told in the story itself. It gave some of the gossip away before the author had even written the stories.
(Zeus)
Tales of Grimm retells stories written by the Grimm Brothers. This title was very self explanatory so I knew exactly what type of stories I was about to read. I have read a few stories written by the Grimm Brothers but the author did a good job about choosing some that are not as well known. The introduction didn't really explain the topic very much, but really made me want to read the stories. It grabbed my attention because the entire introduction was written as a dialogue.

Fairy Tales: The Other Side adds a twist to some of the most well known fairy tales. The title did an okay job at letting me know what the storybook was about. The introduction explained very well about the contents of each story. The only thing about this storybook that I didn't like, was the introduction wasn't labeled as such. It was labeled Make Mine with a Twist and made it very difficult to find as it seemed like the title of a story rather than the introduction.

Bibliography:
Mount Olympus Gossip: https://sites.google.com/site/mountolympusgossip/home
Tales of Grimm: https://sites.google.com/site/talesofgrimm3043/home
Fairy Tales: The Other Side: https://sites.google.com/site/fairytalestheotherside/home

No comments:

Post a Comment