Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Story: The Lion, The Fox, and the Beasts

There once lived a Lion, who was so gravely ill that he was unable to leave his home. He summoned all the animals to come visit him in his cave and hear his last Will and Testament. The first to come was the Goat. The Goat walked in, his hoofs lightly clicking against the cave floor, and stayed, listening to the Lion for a long while. Next, the Cow walked in and, seeing the Lion on the floor, lay down next to him to better listen. He too, stayed. 

                                                                (The Lion, Flickr)

Meanwhile the Sheep arrived. She began walking inside the cave but was stopped suddenly by a voice. This high pitched, almost silent voice arose from behind her, in the open field outside the entrance of the cave and heeded a warning; “Do not enter if you wish to live, all who have entered have not returned.” The Sheep glanced around and at last saw who had spoken, the Fox. The Fox was known to be a trickster and a liar so the Sheep took no notice of him and continued into the cave to hear the last Will and Testament of the Lion. 

(The Sheep, Flickr)

At last, when it seemed all the animals had come to pay their respects to the Lion, he made a miraculous recovery and exited the cave to go find water (as he was parched). Upon exiting, he encountered the Fox, still in the field the Sheep spoke to him in. The Lion, asked the Fox as to why he did not come pay his respects. The Fox answered, “I have been sitting here all day, watching, and have seem many animals go into your cave, however, I have seen none leave. Until I see all the animals who have entered, come out again I think I will just stay out here.”

(The Fox, Flickr)

Authors Note: The original story is titled "The Lion, The Fox, and the Beasts" and was found in the Fables of Aesop. The plot is very similar to the the original story, and is about a Lion who pretends to be ill in order to gain visits from a bunch of animals, and ultimately turning them into prey. The Fox is smart enough to realize this is occurring and is able to prevent himself from becoming food.

Bibliography: This story is based on the fable called "The Lion, The Fox, and the Beasts" found in the Fables of Aesop, written by Joseph Jacobs.

3 comments:

  1. Bailey, I enjoyed reading your story and loved the imagery that you incorporated. Don’t forget to check for typos though! When reading over what I have written sometimes I go too fast and miss my mistakes too. I liked that you describe the aesthetic of the scene and gave each animal a picture. Good job at making the story your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your rendition of the story. I had never heard this fable before, but I think you did a good job making it your own. I too enjoyed how you had a picture for most of the animals that were in the story. I also enjoyed the imagery you used to make the story come to life. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your retelling. I read another retelling last week and it is very interesting to see how different people change the details. So many times in stories the lion can be the enemy because he is such a big a scary creature. I like how you kind of went against that stereotype and made him an animal that should not be feared like the fox originally thought.

    ReplyDelete