Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Story: Cupid and Psyche

A little back story first...
Venus was the goddess of love. While looking down upon her subjects, she realized that they were no longer worshipping her, they were worshipping a beautiful mortal named Psyche. So she sent her son Cupid to make her fall in love with the most wretched, vile thing on earth. However Cupid soon fell in love with her himself. Cupid flees after Psyche finds out he is a god, and the rest is the tale of her trying to find her love. 

(Cupid and Psyche, Boston Public Library)
I am the leader of the Gods, King of the skies, Ruler of thunder and lightening, but can you guess my name? You may know me as Zeus, however in this story I am known as Jupiter. My role in this love story began when Cupid approached me after fleeing from Psyche. He explained that he had fallen in love with a mortal, a mortal whom his mother hated and wanted punished. So he was seeking solace from not only his mother Venus, but also his love Psyche until he was sure his mother would leave her alone. He asked me to keep watch over Psyche and make sure she was safe, while he went away for a while. I agreed (because he was always my favorite, and I'm a sucker for love). After he left, I began looking down on earth quite frequently. At first Psyche was in no danger; she was only searching to find her love, Cupid. However, she soon got desperate and as I watched she approached Venus. Venus, determined to find her son told Psyche that if she completed three tasks, he would come back to her. 

(Juno and Jupiter, Wikimedia)
The first task was easy, all Psyche had to do was take a pile of grains, beans, seeds, and lentis and separate them into individual piles. After watching for a few hours, I felt bad for the poor girl so I sent along some birds to help her sort faster. She was done in no time, and when Venus came back another task was given to her. 

This time she was instructed to obtain precious golden wool from the sheep in the meadow. I saw that these sheep were crazed from the heat of the sun, and would likely injury Psyche, so I sent a warning to her through the wind. It whispered to her as it blew past her ear telling her "wait until the sun sets, and the sheep calm down, then go to the woods and grab the golden wool hanging from the branches." 

After giving the wool to Venus, Psyche's final task was assigned. She was to fill a vial of water from the Styx. As I was even afraid of these waters I sent my trusty Eagle to obtain the water for her. All three tasks completed, Psyche walked back, hoping her love Cupid would be awaiting her return. When she arrived, Venus told her one more thing needed to be done. A jar of beauty needed to be delivered to Tartarus. But as I watched, Venus filled the jar, not with beauty, but with sleep. Psyche opened the jar, thinking some beauty would help bring Cupid back to her and fell into a deep sleep. Not to worry however, as I had warned Cupid of his mothers transgressions, and he came back just in time to wake her of the sleep. 

(Ganymede with Jupiter's Eagle, Wikimedia)
They flew straight here, where I gave Psyche ambrosia, making her immortal. This brings us to today where I am writing this tale in a book, to give as a gift to Cupid and Psyche... on their wedding day. 











Authors Note: 
This is just a small part of the original story of Cupid and Psyche. This part was taken from the second half of the story. The background in the beginning of the story tells the main points from the first part of the story but a lot of the details are missing. The plot remains the same in this part as in the original however instead of a unknown narrator, I changed it to where Jupiter is the narrator. 

Bibliography: Cupid and Psyche from Apuleius's Golden Ass translated by Tony Kline link to the reading online

4 comments:

  1. I would have never expected the king of the gods to be so benevolent, especially toward a "mere mortal"! I halfway expected for Jupiter to fall in love with Psyche too, but I'm glad he didn't (at least not in this story, phew!) Stories with unknown narrators can be interesting, but you making Jupiter narrate it gives another element to the story that is very cool. It seems realistic that Jupiter would know what was going on with all the gods, and like I said, I'm really glad he was so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! I also did Cupid and Psyche this week and I never thought to provide a backstory like you did! I really like how you made Zeus (Jupiter) the reason that Psyche completed her tasks! It answered a lot of questions, like why Psyche was getting all this unseen help, that the original story didn't answer. Gods didn't care for mortal except to get and receive love, I think your portrayal of Jupiter is very accurate and it made for a great story!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome story! I am not a fan of Greek stories simply because they tend to confused me with all of the different gods. I think you did a great job of keeping it simple while also having a lot of good descriptions. I also like how you kept your writing style very modern so it was fun to read and not super confusing. I also like that you changed the narrator because this gives an awesome new perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story is very touching. Although Zeus’s point of view gave a descriptive story, I hope your story was written with Cupid’s view of point. With Cupid as narrator, it would be interesting for the reader to see the agonies that he had to endure while seeing his lover struggled through the hardships set by this beloved mother just to see him again.

    ReplyDelete